Monday, February 2, 2009

I have heard a great deal of adulation for Obama since he's become president (and for that matter since he's become president-elect, and for that matter since he's become a candidate for president). Much of this from people (neighbors, people at my school, people on the radio, etc.) who give as a primary reason for their joy of and praise of Obama because he is African American.

I can partially understand the joy of a black person happy that another black person is elected president. However, I think it goes beyond this. Many of these people seem to me by their words that they are judging Obama in a way that Martin Luther King jr. said we must never do in America.

It seems that they are judging him by the color of his skin and not by the content of his character.

1 comment:

Kelpie said...

I can understand the happiness that people feel about a phenotypically black person being elected president in that it shows how far we've come in our efforts for equal treatment regardless of "race." I do understand your point as well, though. It's foolish to judge the man himself based only on that particular collection of physical traits.

(My thoughts? I'm, of course, doubtful about the man himself because he's a successful politician. However, I want to give the man a hug for what he did for wolves -- on his first day!)

I will get to your tl;dr entry soon. ;)